The end of a wicked stressful (for me at least) time .... getting paperwork together, getting inspections done, having the well treated, meeting all the requirements of the lending approval agency (and for that matter, the lender).
As many of you already know, the days leading to the closing were not without drama. The well tested 'unsafe' for levels of cholioform (generic name for a bacteria family). The good news is that it tested negative for E.coli - that is the bad one (and I am assuming expensive to remedy). I researched and became first name friends with the folks at Colorado Department of Public Health, flushed the pipes, sent off a sample and crossed my fingers. The sample came back "unsafe". Okay - now we are up against a deadline - credit report from lender about to expire, acceptance of the offer from the bank about to expire ..... At this point a huge THANK YOU to Crystal Eidson (my amazing realtor), Dave Leonard (and Sheri Parkhill) at the Mortgage Lending Company, my family and friends ..... for not killing me, disowning me or ignoring me as I tried to get everything done in the time allotted.
Obviously, we did it!!
In the middle of the well water quality issue, the appraiser made his visit to the house. The short version of the story is that I ended up painting the outside of the north facing doors and windows and the garage doors. The seller's agent was kind enough to paint the bare wood window frames on the south and east sides of the house. Seems FHA won't approve a loan to a house with chipped or peeling paint or bare wood ..... and we had some weather (chipping and peeling of paint) on the north side and there were a couple of window frames on that were bare wood. Guess this is where I give thanks for the time spent as a painter while we were living in Harwich. I grabbed can of primer and started painting. When I started the temperature was about 40-degrees and when put my brush away, it was 33-degrees. Not pretty .... and while the appraiser didn't seem impressed by the paint job, he did complete the appraisal on the house and we were 'good to go' - at least from the Appraiser.
Living room french doors - post removal of peeling paint and application of primer.
Living room window - primed and ready for re inspection by Appraiser.
As I said, not a pretty paint job .... the goal was to eliminate all peeling and chipped paint .... goal accomplished! And - it all got done before the temperature hit 32-degrees (temp at which you have to stop painting cause the paint doesn't really work at 32-degrees or colder).
And effective January 28,2013 ..... "Homeowner" ......